Roots of Asia tours for women
We did not want a few nights in Bangkok this time, nor the delights of the white sand beaches, but it was mountains, jungle, homestays, meditation, cooking class, and time to relax, which we were seeking.
Along comes an enticing web site - www.rootsofasia.com
Veronique and Gertrude (known as Cat and Nici) are two Dutch women who have been inspired by Asia culture, nature and a simple way of living. They have established a tourism venture which respects local culture, benefits local people and respects the environment, while ensuring their guests have a wonderful experience in Northern Thailand
Roots of Asia – their three tours are
2 Thailand Explorer, 16 days traveling further afield, from North to South, including the white sandy beaches, tropical sunsets and photogenic islands.
3. Green Mindful, 16 days, which incorporates daily practice of Qigong, into a leisurely exploration of jungle, villages, cooking and sightseeing.
I hope it is leisurely and wonderful as I was so impressed with the outline that we have booked to take this tour in October. I shall keep you posted!
Roots of Asia tours are for women only, although Cat and Nici have catered for mixed groups in the past. They say they are now focussing on women who like to have fun, make new friends and expand their horizons. I asked Cat why they changed to women only.
While travelling in Ladakh, I made contact with the female guides association. Finding this office felt like a relief, strong women that know what they are doing, care about nature… It felt like coming home. We noticed we were being pushed to follow our true passion, to work with women and empower local Asian women.
Veronique and Cat are fully immersed in their Chiang Mai community:
We are trying to organize local events. As there is not so much happening for lesbians here in Chiang Mai, we are planning to organize a monthly gathering. At the moment we are building a network, once it’s a bit more stable, we will organize a local event. Veronique is now attending a Photography workshop and making her own photowebsite.
They have told us about a local BioDanza class,(yes, I had to look it up too!) and a meditation class which we will join as well, so it looks like a pretty interesting time for us in northern Thailand.
Check out Roots of Asia and their tours
Ceridwyn Parr articles on Women Travel:
- Risking Everything: Coming out in Coffee Land
- Portugal – 14 reasons to go
- Shopping in London? Choose your battle.
- Betel Nut- red lips, bad teeth, but is it really beautiful?
- Vientiane, capital city of Laos
- Luang Prabang – lovely and langourous
- From Phnom Penh mayhem to laid back Laos
- Thailand – a homestay in an Akha Village
- Cambodia, land of awesome temples, waterways and fabulous food
- The Killing Schools and Killing Fields of Cambodia
More Asia Articles
- Travelling in China - April 3rd, 2013
- Roots of Asia - a fantastic green and mindful tour - December 27th, 2012
- From Phnom Penh mayhem to laid back Laos - December 11th, 2012
- The Killing Schools and Killing Fields of Cambodia - December 3rd, 2012
- Inside Asia - help with planning your Asian sojourn - November 27th, 2012